[Zope] Re: Threading, dtml and performance?!

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:18:06 +0000

On 30/10/01 10:49 pm, "Dieter Maurer" <dieter@handshake.de> wrote:

>> And I would still be interested in an explanation why two long running
>> methods (not four) seem to be able to stall zopes http server on linux.
> I just checked with an "activeSleep" script:
>
>>   from time import time
>>
>>   def sleep(sec):
>>     e= time() + float(sec)
>>     while time() < e: pass
>>     print 'active sleep finished'
>>     return 'slept'
>
> I had three parallel "sleep" requests and a forth request could
> manage Zope without problems...
>
> Maybe your long running methods are special?
>

> Dieter

I was surprised to see Linux mentioned as having a problem with stalling the
http server, as everyone who's running linux who has replied to this thread
has said they've had no problems with multiple threads.

For completeness, I tried the above as a python script on Solaris 8/Zope
2.4.1/python 2.1 - I could set the script off, but then couldn't do anything
else on the server until the script had finished. But I think those requests
had got through to Zope, as when the sleep thread had finished, Zope carried
on with my other request. :(

tone
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140