[Zope] newbie q: how to block IP

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:19:39 -0800

You already got the very best answer you're going to get on this one: use
squid or another cache/proxy.

That's because blocking IPs is usually the wrong answer to the wrong
question.  The very few number of applications where it's appropriate are
best accomplished by a program like squid that has the facilities to detect
"red flag" requests.  It's something you almost surely want to do
dynamically in response to particular behavior.

So... the short answer, really, is you may want to think up a different
strategy.  There are a number of existing ways of dealing with abusive
users and odds are you'll be far better off making use of those than
crafting your own solution.

However... if you really must have a hosts_deny kind of thing for your
Zope, I'd read up on Access Rules and implement it that way.

HTH,

Dylan