[Zope] a couple of basic questions

JPenny at ykksnap-america.com JPenny at ykksnap-america.com
Wed Jun 20 10:02:01 EDT 2007

zope-bounces at zope.org wrote on 06/19/2007 08:20:44 PM:

> Hi, thank you for taking the time to read this.
>
> 1. I'm trying to learn to write a website using zope, the progress
> is good but i need to understand how can i call an zope object (ZPT
> or SQL or Script) from a script in this setup:
>
> /root
>     /mysite
>          /db
>             sql_do_something
>          /script
>             call_sql_do_something
>          index_html
>

> i tryed to call it using sql_do_something =
> context['db/sql_do_something'] hoping that maybe using aquisition
> ... i can get the script ... but i get the message that he can't
> find the object.

Maybe context['db']['sql_do_something'].  I don't remember.

> the only way i managed to call it is ... if the files are in the same
dir.
> im currently using them this way ... but it's gonna get a mess soon,
> all those scripts and sql and ZPT in the same dir.

I actually want all of them bundled.  I do a folder per project, and
generally
want most of the non-pervasive stuff necessary for a single application in
a single folder, the logic being that I know where to start looking when a
problem
or extension request happens.

Most folders are 50 to 100 objects, and it just hasn't been an issue to
me.
The worst is nearing 600 objects, which is teetering on the edge.

> 2. I'm not writing products, just simple ZPT and script ... and i
> want version control for them, i have svn installed but ... the
> files are all inside zope database (i don't even know how the
> database file is named). Is there a svn plugin or a way to add those
> files to repository?  I think that adding the entire zope database
> is a bit awkward ... hard to diff etc.

Yes, look at FileSystemSite (http://www.infrae.com/download/FileSystemSite
for
source).  Or you can install CMF.  I seriously wish that FileSystemSite
would
be moved into Zope core.

There are older methods of syncing the ZODB to cvs.  Generally, these are
to be avoided, they work fine when they work, but when they fail they are
difficult to resync.

jim penny