[Zope3-dev] Ugly URLs

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:57:29 -0500

Chris Withers wrote:

> sean.bowman@acm.org wrote:
> >
> > I think ExplicitNamespaceControlInURLs on the wiki says something about
> > this, but I can't exactly figure out what :)  Also, I'd sorta like some
> > reassurance that we aren't going to have to use any ugly gross urls -- I
> > think a great strength of Zope is that it lets me name resources (via
> > urls) in a logical and consistent manner.
>
> Yeah, gotta agree with this. I think I read that page, commented and then ran
> away in terror.

I just looked, and responded to the comments that were there. I didn't
see a comment from you.

> Don't get me wrong, it's a gnarly, gnarly problem, but if we end up with
> ?ejnfle=lknaslk:ands&klaskld=asdasd on the end of every URL, then I may as well

Please re-read the proposal.

- There is nothing in the proposal suggesting use of query string
  or suggesting putting anything at the end.

- While '/foo/edit;view/action.html' is a little bit different,
  it doesn't contain any random strings and is fairly readable.

- If an object's presentation and content namespace don't overlap
  (e.g. if an object doesn't have a content namespace because
  it's not a container), the special syntax need not be used, as in
  'foo/edit/action.html'.