[Zope3-dev] Ugly URLs

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 05 Dec 2001 17:49:09 +0000

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
> >
> > sean.bowman@acm.org wrote:
> > >
> > > I think ExplicitNamespaceControlInURLs on the wiki says something about

Just noticed... annoying niggle on this page, why does wrapping not work?

> > Yeah, gotta agree with this. I think I read that page, commented and then ran
> > away in terror.
>
> I just looked, and responded to the comments that were there. I didn't
> see a comment from you.

Hehe... maybe I got the order slightly wrong with the running away in terror bit
;-)

> - There is nothing in the proposal suggesting use of query string
>   or suggesting putting anything at the end.

Ah, so URI parameters and query string parameters are different things? I didn't
know that :-S

> - While '/foo/edit;view/action.html' is a little bit different,
>   it doesn't contain any random strings and is fairly readable.

Hmmm... I think it's very important what the default namespace order is. If it's
right, then you'd hardly ever need to use this syntax, in which case I think
it's the best solution :-)

For example, a non object-container would have a lookup order:
-presentation
-attributes
-acquisition?

While an object-container might have:
-items
-presentation
-attributes
-acquisition?

How hard would it be to make this configurable, using zcml for example?

This might be a nice way of controlling acquisition too :-)

BTW, I think bavarian (who are ya, bavarian?) 's suggestion is absolute genius.
I wonder how it could be woven in?
My only comment would be to not worry about other presentations... for example,
if you upload a .png, then obviously it'll have a .png presentation, but why
should it have a .jpg presentation at all?
I expecially like the .html = rendered, .zpt = source options, writing the FTP
and WebDAV adapters for those could be fun ;-)

Well, I await Jim's proposal on that front with baited breath :-)

Just me or has the Zope world got a lot more exciting since AKM blew his top?

Chris