[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: Help system as a medium priority

Lalo Martins lalo@hackandroll.org
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 17:20:10 -0200

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 08:21:53AM -0500, Paul Everitt wrote:
> Just in case the list is FIFO, here's a request.  Make the creation of a
> "Help Service" a high priority.  Maybe it's not a service, but you get
> the picture.

Sorry for the "me too", but I just realized your request didn't prompt
any comments.

Writing help while the design/coding ideas are still fresh is
important. Writing help as an afterthought usually takes time and
produces sub-optimal results. So, "me too".

A cheap alternative would be to arbitrate that the new "Help Service"
will use stx files for user-level help, exactly like the current
HelpSys; so, even if it remains vapourware, we can go on writing stx
helpfiles just like we were used to.

Also, people who are striving to understand how things work can
capture their study in helpfiles, which would be peer-reviewed and
checked in, sparing some work of the developers... perhaps?

(Oh, and if help is in stx format, I'm sure someone in the web team
can whip up an interface to read the latest CVS version of these docs
from inside dev.zope.org...)

Lalo

(.sig-less for now)