[Zope3-dev] Re: URLs & Paths

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sat, 08 Dec 2001 10:05:09 -0500

Chris Withers wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:

> > URL. This is an area that needs more exploration. Our current thinking is that
> > there are lower-level traversal interfaces that would be used by ZPT and
> > other software.  It's not clear whether the lower-level traversal APIs
> > will also support namespace control.
>
> I think they should behave in hte same way as URL traversal, with namespace
> control. At this level, I think ';' is a perfectly good idea and makes life a
> _lot_ easier. (the same benefits of being able to say you want the attribute
> rather than the item apply...)

Thanks. That's useful feedback.

> Just a further thought here, is it documented anywhere how you'd choose between
> implicit and explicit acquisition?

At the class level, of course you will be able to mix-in Acquisition.Implicit
or Acquisition.Explicit. Even if a class mixes in neither, other
objects will be able to use acquisition explicitly in a URL:

  .../aContact/view;acquire

Services and the components they provide will be explictly acquired.
When you call something like:

  getUtility(ob, IWhatever)

you are effectively acquiting the utility, because the search is placeful.

> > > I reckon for containers, you'll usually only get the one 'view' mode, and that's
> > > where nice URLs are important. For 'edit' modes, I can live with the ; 'cos
> > > accessing items is gonna be a lot mroe common than editing the container,
> > > wouldn't you say?
> >
> > Yup, except that for some containers, I can imagine lots of "view" modes:
> >
> > - normal/default view
> >
> > - summary
> >
> > - browse
> >
> > - search
> >
> > - ... other application views
>
> Ah, but those are application choices, and if you choose to do that at the
> application level, then you have to put up with ; so the choice is yours.

Exactly.

> On the topic of apps, I presume the choice of URL Traversal 'feature'(word still
> sticks in the throat, sorry

It looks like the term "feature" is unpopular and, thus will be changed. :)

> ) will be made at the application level?

Right.