[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: Designing for debuggability

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Sat, 08 Dec 2001 14:58:14 -0500

Howdy.  This email might be so stupid that even Jim will recant his
"There are no stupid questions" maxim.  But since I've never let my
ignorance stop me before...:^)

Zope2 is hard to debug.  Zope3 helps by being better designed: explicit
vs. implicit, less magic, etc.

But could Zope3 do more?  That is, could an architecture be put in place
that incepts the problem of debugging and scopes out some solutions?  A
component architecture that actively anticipates the needs of debugging
could help Zope be more competitive.  Of course, it's all in how it's
scoped.  Debugging can mean a lot of things.

Microsoft has an entire architecture for ActiveDebugging.  Though I
don't know first hand a single thing about it, I believe Mark Hammond
has considered it pretty darn successful.

While I have some ideas about specifics, I'm on thin ice already, so
I'll leave the dancing till I'm on better footing.

--Paul