[Zope3-dev] Initial thoughts on the Zope3 security framework

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sat, 08 Dec 2001 16:51:14 -0500

Paul Everitt wrote:

> Should you mention that docstrings won't govern whether something is
> published?

Sure. Go ahead. ;)

> Also, are there changes to the rules about a leading underscore?

The APIs are silent on this, but out intension is to remove names
from access considerations in the standard Zope Security Policy.

> When you mention inner and outer context, I was reminded about Fred's
> first response.  Do you need to explain this somewhere?

There probably needs to be a separate document that lays out the concepts
and jargon for context wrapping.

> Here's something everybody

Everybody? I doubt it.

> has wanted for a while, but which has been
> disallowed for security reasons: TTW product installation.

I still think this is a really bad idea.

> When you
> discussed "varying levels of security", it made me wonder if the
> SecurityFramework could provide a mode specifically tailored for meeting
> this need?

There's nothing in the current security policy that would prevent someone
from writing a product that did TTW product installation.

The risks are high. The benefit is low compared to the risk, IMO.

If someone wants this, they can write it, but I think we have much
more important fish to fry.