[Zope3-dev] DISCUSS: Designing for debuggability

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 13:17:02 +0100

Shane Hathaway wrote:
[snip]
> We could use some ideas for a debugging UI.  The big question is whether
> the debugger would be driven by the browser or by a Zope IDE.

I'll advocate 'browser'; the ZMI is currently a major 'selling point' of
Zope. There's a lot of power in being able to develop and manage
applications using only a browser. Even though browser interfaces
suck in many ways, they have a few major things going for them.

While I think a browserless Zope IDE would certainly be useful and the
Zope core should offer ways to make such a thing more easy to construct,
I don't think we should be wasting resources on developing one right from
the start.

Regards,

Martijn