[Zope3-dev] More name game suggestions

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 10:07:38 -0500

> Should we be making the distinction between 'services' and 'utilities' at
> all? Isn't a utility some sort of simple degenerate service?

I'll stay out of the naming discussion (this is Zope's cross to bear)
but the practical distinction becomes clear from the description of
how they are used in Jim's original Wiki page

    http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/SecurityFramework

When you use a "service", there is this notion that you vaguely ask
for one and the one nearest to you gets the request; that one will
communicate with others of the same kind higher up in the hierarchy
and eventually give you a result.  (Similar to methods and method
overloading.)

When you use a "utility" you pick one you like and that's the one you
get.  (Similar to a function, I guess.)