[Zope3-dev] Brain Overload Problems

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:35:30 +0100

Chris Withers wrote:
[snip problems getting the picture]
> Can anyone think of a solution to this?

I think all of us have this problem, as we're in the prototyping part of
the design phase. The solution is examples and just trying to build something
useful with what we've got.

I myself will try to bring over things like ParsedXML, XMLWidgets and
Formulator over to Zope3x as soon as it's anywhere near doable. I hope
that'll help making it clearer for me, and also may help shape up the
design as I find patterns used in these products that could be generalized.

Each of these systems has interesting design aspects that could do well
with a component architecture. ParsedXML as well as XMLWidgets lean
heavily on adapters (proxy wrappers), and there are also URL mapping
issues (paths to nodes). Future developments like a ZDOM layer over
Zope objects will introduce other interesting aspects.

Formulator is componentized into forms which have fields which consist
of a validator and a display widget, all separate classes. There's also
the question on what a formulator form *is*, a (utility) service type thing,
or a presentation component (but it has state itself), content object,
or what?

I suggest others try to map existing projects onto Zope3x as well, to
determine where the opportunities are and what the difficulties may be,
and also just to try to get used to the new style of thinking.

Regards,

Martijn