[Zope3-dev] Bringing the name game to a close, for now

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:32:52 -0500

Steve Spicklemire wrote:

> Hmm.. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Functionality is only
> "new" for a little while. Then it's "old". ;-)

It's not about time. The adapter is providing functionality
that doesn't exist in the original component and never will.

I guess I should have said "additional" rather than "new".

> In any case, new or old,
> it requires an interface, and if you're modifying, or expanding your
> class to provide such an interface, it smells a lot like an adaptor. ;-)

At the syntactic level yes.

> I guess in the "purest" sense, and adaptor adapts existing functionality
> onto an alternative interface. But my point is that functionality is
> viewed as "new" or "old" depending on the reference point of the
> observer, not as an intrinsic property of the software itself.

No, it really does depend on an intrinsic property of the software.
Content components should only contain application-dependent behavior.
These other components will often provide application-dependent behavior
that will never be added to the content component.

Jim