[Zope3-dev] Bringing the name game to a close, for now

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:27:31 -0500

> Jim does what he likes, obviously, but I think that the rename of
> features to adapters are adding to the confusion in the
> naming. Adapters is something you plug in between two things that
> does not otherwise fit, like a 110 to 220 v adapter. After the
> rename, we now call the electrical outlet "service", we call the
> radio "adapter" and we call the adapter "utility".  :-)

I like adapter a lot better than feature.  And I think it's
appropriate: an adapter can convert an application protocol (like the
"Contact" class in Jim's tutorial) into a presentation protocol like
HTML.  Whether that is new functionality or not is in the eye of the
beholder...