[Zope3-dev] Enhanced Workflow

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
14 Dec 2001 18:13:39 GMT

> > Given the current CMF model, it is rather painful to publish an single
> > folder of documents or an entire folder tree at once -- each document
> > is independent and has no relation to its parent folders.
>
> Good point!

I'll have a proposal written up this week-end about this.

Basically (this will be for Zope2, and adapt for Zope3) I propose to
define two new interfaces, _isWorkflowManager and _isWorkflowAware.

An object that is a WorkflowManager is consulted by the Workflow Tool
one behalf of any of its children when taking workflow-related decisions
(find available actions, do action, find available workflows).

An object that is WorkflowAware is directly consulted by the Workflow
Tool for the same decisions. In both cases the object can decide to
fallback on the standard behaviour, but can also change its state, etc.

A combination of the two can pretty easily do what's proposed at the top
of this message : when a WorkflowAware ObjectManager changes state, it
can impose the same state recursively to all its children. And if it is
also WorkflowManager it can veto any independant state change of the
children. Or do more complex things.

I propose to discuss this in zope-dev if it's okay with you.

Florent