[Zope3-dev] More name game suggestions

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:33:57 -0500

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> I like "adapter" because it's a generic usage that is easier to say than
> "implementation of an interface".  I would say "wrapper" rather than
> "adapter" except that it would detract from the uniqueness of "wrapper"
> in talking about how acquisition works.

There is a possibility that using adapters will be more interesting than
adding features--that the connection between components might actually
be more interesting than the application functionality.  Forwarding an
email is something any app can do, but maybe Zope3 has facilities to
spam-filter it, copy it to a wiki and a discussion forum, archive it
using SOAP, log its headers, generate an auto-reply to the sender, and
finally forward it with some special headers.  Just put together some
adapters. :-)  So if our current expectations are a little incorrect,
then adapter is indeed the right word.

Shane