[Zope3-dev] Axe DTML Document

Lalo Martins lalo@hackandroll.org
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:15:01 -0200

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 06:07:12PM +0000, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> One question you have to ask yourself is, what kind of content do you
> want ? Pure preformatted text ? Structured text ? HTML ? XML ? PDF ?
> Microsoft Word ? Where do you stop... :-)
>
> IMHO CMF Document is already too complex for its own good. It tries to
> parse headers in structured-text, which ends up decapitating document,
> thus baffling unsuspecting users (I hotpatched away this munging). When
> doing HTML, it parses metadata to update properties, even the title. At
> the very least this behaviour should be controllable by the site
> manager.
>
> What CMF Document showed us is that, while it's good to have two options
> for the kind of formatting you want (stx or html), they should be much
> more distinct code-wise, with the ability to add new components so that
> the Document can easily be extended to other types.

IMVHO, this is not the Zope3 Way of Life (TM).

Ideally, this Ideal Document component would store its text in one
single, simple format - StructuredText or some kind of XML.

Then, when you want to edit it, you request the format with
which you are comfortable - HTML, StructuredText, ZDoc-XML
(hypothetical), or whatever you have Adapters to generate (and
parse).

Most situations where this is not OK are really mixing content
and presentation.

For the few remaining cases, someone will develop different
components soon enough ;-)

Lalo