[Zope3-dev] Axe DTML Document

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:43:19 -0500

There have been good points raised here by all. I think I will draft a
Fishbowl proposal on this sometime soon. Here is my take on what a "Document"
object would be:

  - The data/content would be textual and static. I doubt you could create a
single XML format to efficiently and effectively handle all cases, so likely
it would need to support whatever textual format you desired.

  - It would have the capability to add metadata/properties. Would the
ability to specify a common/default schema (dublin core?) be beneficial?

  - It would have History/diff capabilities perhaps like what DTML objects
have now, maybe better.

  - Supporting adapters would be created to do things such as HTML
decapitation, format conversion (STX -> HTML, HTML -> Raw Text, LaTEX ->
DocBook, whatever), metadata extraction, etc.

  - It would have some form of catalog or index awareness.

  - It would be available for 3 easy payments of $19.95 (No CODs, please)!

The document object itself will probably be dead simple and likely dumb as a
stump. Not much there beyond a file object. Actually, what IS the difference
between a document and a file, once you have ComponentArchitecture to
componentize the behavior?

  Casey Duncan, Sr. Web Developer
  National Legal Aid and Defender Association
  c.duncan@nlada.org