[Zope3-dev] principals, users and metadata

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
19 Dec 2001 17:58:09 GMT

Lennart Regebro <lennart@regebro.nu> wrote:
> From: "Jim Fulton" <jim@zope.com>
> > I don't think we should mandate much in the way of meta-data. Perhaps we
> > should suggest and strongly encourage meta-data.
>
> True. By defining the set of meta-data for a user in the acl_user folder (or
> maybe in the user containers) you still get the possibility of defining a
> strict set of meta-data. But there is no reason that some parts of the
> meta-data should be there forcefully. Rather full name and e-mail should be
> the default properties when you create a new acl_users.

About user metadata: Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but I believe the
association between a user and its metadata should be obtain
through a separate service; CMF portal_memberdata showed us the start of
this (I keep referring to CMF because that's where a lot of good ideas
have been fleshed out). For instance you could have an explicit list of
usernames in acl_users but want to store the metadata in an LDAP
directory. Or have the acl_users get its users from an SQL database but
the metadata stored in the ZODB.

Maybe it's implicit for everybody that the component model will give
this to us but anyway...

The memberdata service should also have generic interface for searching,
not simply querying for a given user's metadata ("I want all users whose
name begins with foo", "I want all users with OfficeNo=555"...).

Also, do you envision that the "grouping" info will be inferrable from
this kind of metadata ? Given an adequate adapter...

Florent