[Zope3-dev] ZopeTop (the new Zope3 replacement for ZMI)

Gary Poster garyposter@earthlink.net
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:15:29 -0500

On Friday 05 April 2002 10:06 am, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> Separation of the tree view and the rest of the management intereface
> is about the only kind of frame use I'd consider reasonable.  I'd
> expect that changes to the two frames be independent wherever possible
> (certainly with tree operations like expand/collapse) to avoid bad
> interactions with forms in the non-tree view.  Using frames with a
> visible separator bar makes changing the width of the tree possible;
> this is a valuable feature.

I agree that frames would be useful here.  However, the fact that XHTML 1.1
doesn't have frames *at all*, as I remember, means that this may be
problematic.

> I'm not convinced that Flash is stable on Linux, but very few sites I
> visit ever use the stuff.  That's pretty evil stuff.

I know that's the standard opinion, but to be brutally honest, I think it's
knee-jerk.  It is a tool at our disposal.  If it does a job we need better
than other tools at our disposal, then let's use it.  It can be easily turned
on and off in a given page at the users control.

FWIW, I haven't had any problem with it on Linux--I've been on Mozilla mostly
lately.  Haven't tried it in on Konqueror.

Gary