[Zope3-dev] ZopeTop browser support.

Lennart Regebro lennart@torped.se
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 19:39:53 +0200

From: "Jeremy Hylton" <jeremy@zope.com>
> Only if we want to guarantee that the mainstream never adopts Zope.
> The logs for zope.org (I assume you mean that rather than zope.com)
> will show what developers interested in Zope use.  The users are a
> different matter entirely.

There are several different groups of people in this case:
1. People who develop zope products / zope sites.
2. People who use intranet / CMS / whatever products developed with Zope.
3. People who visit sites built with Zope.

Zope.org logs will mainly show people from group 1. I expect this to have
some variety. For example we know we have some mozilla users.

The people in goup 2 are using almost exclusively IE5 and IE6 on windows,
with some people using IE 5.1 on mac, and some very few using Netscape on
mac. This is because these people are almost exclusively corporate
end-users. These people can, when they buy the product, easily be convinced
to upgrade their browsers if they are to old, since they (unlike people in
group 1) does not put any principal or religious relevance into their choice
of browser. :-)
If for some reason this doesn't happen, the people selling the product to
them can make specific skins for that customer.

The people in group 3 does never see the management interface, and hence
could not care less what browsers they support.

The main audience for the Zope management interface (both 2 and 3) is people
from group 1. So no, I don't mean zope.com, I do mean zope.org. And as seen
above, making the Zope management interface support the developer
communities choice of browsers will not in any way hinder Zope 3's succes on
the mainstream market.