[Zope3-dev] Are there Graphic Designers?

Bjorn Stabell bjorn@exoweb.net
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:01:23 +0800

We've tried the CMF on several websites, and we've tried the ZMI.  The
CMF was just too incomplete to use, and in the end we had to teach
serious content managers about the ZMI.  So, we changed to only using
the ZMI, but that didn't work well either.  The ZMI very confusing in
that it includes a lot of "low level" objects and tabs that users don't
normally need to worry about, it doesn't look very "polished", and it is
so modular in its use of UI components that it hides important
information from the content managers.  The tabs confusing in that it
makes the website look like an application so much that many users think
changes will be automatically saved when they switch to another tab.

I really hope ZopeTop will be skinnable, multilingual, and have
information portal pages (dashboards, zopetop today, or similar) that
extract out the most important information to show the users.  For
example, a site manager should have a home page that shows the workflow
queues, recent changes to the site, used disk space, and have easy
access to manage contents and users.  I hope the management interface
will look a lot like MS Outlook's Folder List view, which has become a
"standard" UI metaphor, but that it only includes content that the user
"needs to know about".

It's very useful to look at other CMS's, like RedDot and eGrail, to see
how user friendly the CMS can be.  Zope has all of their features (more
or less), but the CMS interface isn't nearly as effective or attractive.

Bye,
--=20
Bjorn