[Zope3-dev] Object Status Info

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 22:37:47 -0400

> for FTP support I need to know some information about objects.

I think it would be handy to have such info available in the ZMI too.

> I need:
>
> - the access mode a la Unix (can be probably found after security is done)

I think some other access mode abstraction could probably be easily
translated.  Really all you need is whether the user who's logged in
(or "nobody") can read/write the object; ftp doesn't really care for
anything else.

> - Owner and owner group of the object (I assume that will also come from
> the security mechanism somehow)

If these are the proper concepts in the Zope security philosophy --
I've lost track of the discussion on groups.  Note that ftp really
doesn't require Unix-style output -- that's just the most common form.

> - Size of object (right now it checks whether a method getSize exists)

Calculated how?

> - Access, Modification and Creation time. I think that information should
> be stored in the container of the object.

Would be nice to have indeed.  (Though Unix ctime isn't really
creation time -- it's time of last change to metadata.)  I think ZODB
stores the mtime.  The atime may be hard to come by without causing
inefficiencies.

> I thought about extending the folder to at least store the dates; maybe
> even the owner and the size should be stored here as well.
>
> What do you think?

Conceptually it's better to keep this on the object, in case it gets
moved, right?