[Zope3-dev] RDB support

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:03:22 -0600

At a high level, Zope 2's model of SQL methods that share a data base
adapter is pretty good, but I think in Zope 3 we need to make sure:

* The interface and contracts for database adapters are better defined.
Database adapters should be "smarter" and do more to promote efficient
usage (less round trips to the DB server, etc).

* ZSQL methods should be able to be tied to one database adapter, but
dynamically use others if desired. This is currently difficult in Zope2.

Database adapters themselves should be utilities.

ZSQL methods are recordset generators. Perhaps we should abstract that
to a common base interface so that anything generating record sets, like
catalogish things, sql methods, xml-rpc/wddx and any other tablish
things (tinytables?).

Even better I think we might start to think about ORMappings and make
recordsets just a simplistic implementation of them. So, we should
probably abstract this from a basic interface for mapping objects to
records.

I would strongly caution that this is a very big ball of wax that we
need many minds to flesh out well. So, if you go ahead and implement
something, don't be surprised if it gets completely paved over later
when everyone else catches up.

-Casey