[Zope3-dev] RDB support

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:43:44 -0500

At 12:32 PM 4/10/2002 -0400, R. David Murray wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Stephan Richter wrote:
> > Are SQL Methods Content Objects or not?
> > Should there be a RDBService having specific implementation utilities as
> > plugins?
> > Where do all the objects live? In the Service Manager?
> >
> > Let's **constructively** discuss that. I would to agree quickly on an
> approach!
>
>I know it's not as sexy as getting some code up and working, but I
>think this is an important enough component that we should take
>some time to get the desired Interfaces nailed down first.  I think
>that that will actually simplify the development considerably.

I agree, as long as someone is writing the interfaces down and publishes
them on a Wiki. Then the discussion is in my mind constructive. But look at
the "Graphics" thread; it quickly died out, and if I would not have sent a
mail to interested parties nothing would have happened. Therefore it almost
became an unconstructive discussion.

>I think the question about 'are they content" and "where do they live"
>is a Z2 leftover.  Presumably the database connection itself is
>obtained from a Service, but I can't think of any reason the zsql method
>objects should be stored in the ZODB until we address the general
>issue of storing filesystem code in the zodb.  SQL is code.

I agree with that fully. So let's not talk about SQL Methods at all then,
but just about the server connection API.

Regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Richter