[Zope3-dev] RDB support

Brian Lloyd brian@zope.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:03:59 -0400

> ZSQL methods are recordset generators. Perhaps we should abstract that
> to a common base interface so that anything generating record sets, like
> catalogish things, sql methods, xml-rpc/wddx and any other tablish
> things (tinytables?).
>
> Even better I think we might start to think about ORMappings and make
> recordsets just a simplistic implementation of them. So, we should
> probably abstract this from a basic interface for mapping objects to
> records.
>
> I would strongly caution that this is a very big ball of wax that we
> need many minds to flesh out well. So, if you go ahead and implement
> something, don't be surprised if it gets completely paved over later
> when everyone else catches up.

I would further encourage anyone approaching this to study
the System.Data and ADO related libraries in .NET. Much of what
I've seen in this thread is relatively old ground, and we should
be willing to take lessons from other solutions that have several
iterations behind them.

Brian Lloyd        brian@zope.com
V.P. Engineering   540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com