[Zope3-dev] RDB support

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@adelphia.net
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:19:01 -0400

> [Brian Lloyd] I would further encourage anyone approaching
> this to study the System.Data and ADO related libraries
> in .NET.

Of particular interest IMO is the disconnected, multitable relational
dataset in ADO.NET. Filling datasets' tables from various sources is
handled through adapters, which can be implemented over collections of
XML, SQL, and dare-I-hope... ZODB Pickles and Catalog Results.

With that, we'd have relational joining of multiple Catalog Query
results (given a common key) implemented in a standardized way. ZOQL
would get a big boost in capability out of it, and many projects could
remain in the ZODB without going back to RDBs because of querying
requirements.

The diminished demand for server-held resources by always-disconnected
recordsets is well-suited to Zope/Python, I'd imagine. And updates would
be inherently versionable at a related-record level.