[Zope3-dev] RDB support

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 16:27:16 -0400

This dialog pretty much wraps up how I wish major initiatives in Zope 3
would happen.

Under a previous course, we'd invent the architecture ourselves,
struggling for weeks to write up enough description to explain what we'd
like to do.  Then we'd start coding.  At the end, we'd have to write a
ton of documentation to explain to developers an architecture they'd
never seen, nor will ever see again outside Zope.

In this dialog, Brian proposed using an existing architecture/pattern.
Stephan asked for an explanation.  Brian pointed to a whole series of
articles that were far better written than most of what we're capable of
producing.  When combined with numerous other articles and books, there
is complete documentation and explanation for what Brian proposed.

Pretend for a moment that we actually *could* architect something better
than ADO.NET.  Can we afford to design and document it, from a manpower
perspective?  Would you ever expect to see a series of articles such as
this appear by other writers?  Should we force developers to learn a new
architecture which only applies to Zope?

It's fun to give birth to a new architecture.  However, I'm not sure it
is realistic or appropriate.  If something out in the mainstream is
solid, it should be seriously examined *before* work begins on a
unique-to-Zope approach.  If there is very solid justification, we can
apply "not invented here" and do it our way.

--Paul