[Zope3-dev] Spaghetti-hunting

Lalo Martins lalo@laranja.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:58:16 -0300

Today I was surprised on irc by Magnus Heino who said he was using
AccessControl outside Zope.

And last week in reply to my questions about the App package, someone said
there was a distinction between packages that are supposed to work outside
Zope and those that aren't.

I propose that we should give very serious thought to what can be used
stand-alone and what can't; that we try to move as many packages as possible
into the "can" group; and that we then add unit tests that check if they
really can (this would probably require messing with sys.path or copying the
package elsewhere, but can be done).

This not only benefits the Python community as a whole with a few cool extra
packages, but benefits ourselves as it will hunt for spaghettish
cross-dependencies Zope2 is so full of.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
  It doesn't bother me that people say things like
   "you'll never get anywhere with this attitude".

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)      ---       http://www.BroDar.org/
Python Foundry Guide http://www.sf.net/foundry/python-foundry/