[Zope3-dev] Spaghetti-hunting

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:21:07 -0400

Lalo Martins wrote:
> Today I was surprised on irc by Magnus Heino who said he was using
> AccessControl outside Zope.
>
> And last week in reply to my questions about the App package, someone said
> there was a distinction between packages that are supposed to work outside
> Zope and those that aren't.
>
> I propose that we should give very serious thought to what can be used
> stand-alone and what can't; that we try to move as many packages as possible
> into the "can" group; and that we then add unit tests that check if they
> really can (this would probably require messing with sys.path or copying the
> package elsewhere, but can be done).
>
> This not only benefits the Python community as a whole with a few cool extra
> packages, but benefits ourselves as it will hunt for spaghettish
> cross-dependencies Zope2 is so full of.

Very true.  In Zope 3, that is the distinction between the "Zope"
package and the "Zope.App" package.  Every Zope.* package, besides
Zope.App.*, can be used independently of Zope.  So Zope.Publisher,
Zope.Server, Zope.TAL, Zope.PageTemplate, Zope.ContextWrapper, etc. are
all non-interdependent.

Shane