[Zope3-dev] ZopeTop, xul, etc.

Chris Humphries chumphries@devis.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:54:03 -0500

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Philippe Jadin wrote:
>
>>[first posted on zope main mailing list, someone told me to post it
>>here, sorry for the "cross post"]
>>
>>It seems there is currently work done on the future UI for zope3. I have
>>some questions / comments on this
>>
>>- Isn't it strange to use html to create a modular user interface? As I
>>see it, html is not an UI definition language.
>

> Since Zope 3 is still primarily designed as a web application platform,
> we will end up using HTML to create user interfaces. It makes sense to
> do this for the Zope 3 user interface as well.
>
> Modern HTML is not too bad for constructing UIs. HTML browsers are really
> ubiquitous. There's a lot to say for HTML.

well i would say that CSS would be better suited for design and html
would be used for just displaying the content. IE6 and current
moz/netscape have decent css support, and some amazing things can
be done that is kinda paralized from netscape4's use. CSS is for more
than just doing cool things with links (no underlines, colors, etc).

here at my work, we have brought css to the forefront of our work,
and we have had great success with it. CSS is the powerhouse, and I
think it would be appropriate if Zope3 took that on as the direction
to move in, as it would be a nice step forward, than just html, with
minor css things that exist in like zope2 with the zmi.

just my opinion. :)

-Chris

ps -> catching up on email and zope3 development, so i am a bit behind.
       i apologize if this, well, has been said 12341234 times before.