[Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:56:13 -0500

All in all I like it a lot as a general direction.  Certainly the
shorter names will be a blessing, as long as they do not become too
obscure.  Here are a few niggles.

---

"Don't shy away from using acronyms in package/module names."

This makes me nervous.  That seems an invitation to excessive obscurity.
  Certainly "zpt" and "dtml" are ok, but what are some unreasonable
acronyms according to this naming convention?  I think acronyms such as
zpt will arise of their own accord, while I noticed the proposal itself
didn't choose "ca" but "component" for ComponentArchitecture...

-1 on this one, or at least elaborate.

---

"Collapse small packages into modules. Interfaces will move into
interfaces.py of the surrounding package; tests will move into tests  of
this package."

I did not like seeing zope/app/services/event.py and so on.  I think an
important elaboration of this is that packages that cannot have
arbitrary parts added in and removed are ok to compress as the quoted
recommendation describes, but that "services", and to a lesser degree
"content", should be allowed to have smaller distinct packages for the
convenience of being able to drop things in and pull things out.

Discussion points:

   * reading the code, I'm willing to go to one interfaces.py for a
given subsystem (i.e. service), but I don't want to go to a service
interfaces.py to muck through *all* the service interfaces in there.
These are completely different components!

   * a number of the service packages contain a decent amount of code
and/or interfaces, and the majority of them have no "global" counterpart
in which to store extra interfaces (as event does).  Being able to group
them in a directory is good.

   * I feel particularly strongly about this for the two services with
which I am most familiar, the object hub and the event service.  I'll
elaborate if requested.

Can we agree on that distinction, or is there a similar compromise that
might work?

---

what is zope.app.software?  The replacement for ZopeProducts?  That's
fine, but it wasn't crystal clear to me.

---

I guess the whole magical zcml ending "." thing that duplicates the last
name until it resolves into a class can now go the way of the dinosaur?
  I didn't describe that very well: I'm trying to describe
"Zope.Events.GlobalEventService." resolving to
"Zope.Events.GlobalEventService.GlobalEventService" and so on.  We can
get rid of that now?  Or is that still useful somehow?

---

+1 on the rest, as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

Gary