[Zope3-dev] Excessive long traceback info in TALES

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:10:26 -0500

> Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> > It's clear that there are at least two audiences for these tracebacks,
> > the end user and the developer.  Developers are going to find Pythonic
> > tracebacks much easier to read, so they should be enabled in the cvs.
>
> Really?  Jim says this too.  But I and everyone who sits near me prefers
> module names over filenames.  This is as strange as the XML style
> discussion we had a while back.  To me it's absolutely incredible that
> anyone would prefer filenames over module names, and bulky XML
> attributes over elements.

My critique of the traceback format wasn't about this issue, but I can
see the advantage of filenames: sometimes you get a module from a
different place than where you *think* you are getting it (due to
sys.path issues), and then the filename is an important clue.  Also,
the filename can be pasted more easily into an editor's "open file"
dialog.