[Zope3-dev] Excessive long traceback info in TALES

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:23:40 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> My critique of the traceback format wasn't about this issue, but I can
> see the advantage of filenames: sometimes you get a module from a
> different place than where you *think* you are getting it (due to
> sys.path issues), and then the filename is an important clue.  Also,
> the filename can be pasted more easily into an editor's "open file"
> dialog.

True, but at least in my case, most of the code is located under
"/home/shane/cvs/Zope/lib/python", and with this prefix, the lines don't
fit on the screen.  I don't remember ever confusing the location of
modules due to sys.path, but I admit I know other developers who have.

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
 > I guess my question then is whether you'd prefer module names over
 > file names for regular Python traceback?  What I find the most jarring
 > is the dissimilarity of the two traceback styles.  I'm used to
 > deciphering Python tracebacks, and I'd like to see Zope3's tracebacks
 > as similar to that as possible.

To me, line wrapping is much more jarring.  You've spent a lot more time
coding in Python than I have, so you may prefer line wrapping over
changing the style. :-)

Shane