[Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:26:56 -0500

    MF> from zope.app.publication.browser.traversal import
    MF> PublicationTraverser

    MF> is still a lot shorter than

    MF> from Zope.App.ZopePublication.Browser.PublicationTraverse
    MF> import PublicationTraverser

I don't know if I'd call 14 characters "a lot", but if you're going to
import multiple names from the package/module you're still going to
end up with backslashes.

    MF> similarly

    MF> from zope.app.browser.content.dtml import DTMLPageEval

    MF> is shorter than

    MF> from Zope.App.OFS.Content.DTMLPage.Views.Browser.DTMLPageEval
    MF> import DTMLPageEval

    MF> so I think we're doing quite well on that goal. :)

Ok, 27 characters saved is getting closer to "a lot" :)

    MF> They're still verbose, but less verbose by a lot.

    >> Note that I brought up the same question in the zodb-dev list,
    >> since fitting ZODB into the new naming scheme would actually
    >> make its import paths longer!

    MF> That's true.

Maybe ZODB shouldn't be included in this renaming effort?

-Barry