[ZODB-Dev] Fwd: [Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal (Martijn Faassen)

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:01:48 -0500

At 09:52 AM 12/11/02 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:

>Sounds fine to me, but that could apply to other packages in the Zope tree
>too. What about zope.interface, for instance? Not that they're that
>widely used yet, but that's certainly a goal.

Yikes!  I guess I better go back and read that proposal again and complain
some more...  I didn't realize Interface was headed that way too.

Could we please *not* move around stuff that's not *in* the Zope package
hierarchy right now?  Talk about not being backward compatible...  I
realize Zope 3 isn't necessarily supposed to be backward compatible with
Zope 2, but I never understood Interface and Persistence to be a part of
Zope in the first place.  They've been independently distributed since
their first existence, especially since they were both being proposed as
*Python* tools.

If Zope Corp has already been distributing a package independent of Zope,
it shouldn't be folded into the Zope package, IMHO.  Things like ZPublisher
-> zope.publisher or DocumentTemplate -> zope.somethingorother aren't that
big of a deal, as they aren't widely imported, at least not in my
apps.  But stuff like Interface and Persistence get imported all over the
place in a lot of applications - at least the ones I'm responsible for.  If
the names are the same, I can deploy the same software against different
versions of the packages in question, and I can more easily find
compatibility issues.

And, if the goal is for Zope 3 to eventually use Zope 2 code, you're
inviting dependencies and incompatibilities to creep in if you mask the
fact that these are supposed to be components that can be separately
distributed and used.