[ZODB-Dev] Fwd: [Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal (Martijn Faassen)

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:17:24 +0100

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 09:52 AM 12/11/02 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
> >Sounds fine to me, but that could apply to other packages in the Zope tree
> >too. What about zope.interface, for instance? Not that they're that
> >widely used yet, but that's certainly a goal.
>
> Yikes!  I guess I better go back and read that proposal again and complain
> some more...  I didn't realize Interface was headed that way too.

> Could we please *not* move around stuff that's not *in* the Zope package
> hierarchy right now?  Talk about not being backward compatible...

Well, it is going to go lowercase too. :)

[snip good points about backwards compatibility]

I think the people who are advocating a top level 'zope' package
should check in here. The idea as I understand it is that the
'zope' package *will* only contain stuff that is useable outside of
Zope. 'zope.app' will contain stuff that is specific to the zope app
server itself. This separation is already in effect.

> And, if the goal is for Zope 3 to eventually use Zope 2 code, you're
> inviting dependencies and incompatibilities to creep in if you mask the
> fact that these are supposed to be components that can be separately
> distributed and used.

Hm. I'm not sure what the status of this goal is.

Regards,

Martijn