[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS:Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/schemagen Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/schemagen - Newdirectory

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:39:13 -0500

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 December 2002 14:37, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>But you see, we all interpreted it differently at first glance.  This is
>>why I do not feel that giving modules short, lowercase names is the best
>>advice.  Twisted is full of odd names like this.  C code often uses this
>>convention, and I feel like we're actually taking a step backward by
>>making this a recommendation.
>>
>>Don't get me wrong--if mandated, I won't object to the new conventions.
>>  But I think the elegance and simplicity of giving modules and classes
>>the same name is being overlooked.
>

> Nice summary. While I like most parts of the proposal, I think short
> abbreviated names are not that good, for the reasons discussed in this
> thread. We should really review this and vote on it.

I should make one correction to my stance.  I still like short,
lowercase package names.  I think Java got that right.

(Ironically, schemagen is actually a package, not a module, so I have no
valid complaint against the name. ;-) But Fred was right, it probably
belongs inside a schema-related package.)

> Mmmh, maybe splitting up the proposal in its various parts and vote on them
> seperately will help.

That's generally a good idea.  Geeks don't usually let "riders" through,
unlike Congress. :-)

Shane