[Zope3-dev] separation of view hierarchy

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:24:58 +0100

On mercredi, d=E9c 11, 2002, at 15:50 Europe/Paris, Guido van Rossum=20
wrote:

> I've been thinking about this, and I'm not sure.  I find it hard to
> navigate existing code that creates views, which I was trying to use
> as examples.  One problem is that the information that shows how it
> all fits together are spread over three different file types (in the
> general case): there's a .py file providing view-specific logic, a
> .pt file providing the page template that invokes the view-specific
> logic (and sometimes also non-view-specific logic) and the .zcml that
> ties it all together.  Then there additional layers of indirection:
> multiple zcml files (one for the content object, and one for browser
> views), ZPT macros, generic views (e.g. the "Add" view logic is in a
> shared place) and you get the picture.

[snip]

This was the reaction I had as well when trying to write some Zopetop=20
documentation.  I verified that other Rotterdam people had the same=20
experience, as everyone relied on grep to resolve all questions.

Minor quibble: I think you left out the 7th layer of indirection (the=20
URL syntax you mentioned in a following email, context/@@...), unless=20
that falls under ZPT macros. :^)

BTW, does anyone have any experience with LXR, the source code=20
cross-referencing system?  I wonder if it is specific to C++.  I've had=20=

a number of cases so far where I'd love to visit a page and go looking=20=

for some identifier.

--Paul=