[Zope3-dev] separation of view hierarchy

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:19:38 +0100

Paul Everitt wrote:

> On mercredi, d?c 11, 2002, at 15:50 Europe/Paris, Guido van Rossum
> wrote:
> >
> >I've been thinking about this, and I'm not sure.  I find it hard to
> >navigate existing code that creates views, which I was trying to use
> >as examples.  One problem is that the information that shows how it
> >all fits together are spread over three different file types (in the
> >general case): there's a .py file providing view-specific logic, a
> >.pt file providing the page template that invokes the view-specific
> >logic (and sometimes also non-view-specific logic) and the .zcml that
> >ties it all together.  Then there additional layers of indirection:
> >multiple zcml files (one for the content object, and one for browser
> >views), ZPT macros, generic views (e.g. the "Add" view logic is in a
> >shared place) and you get the picture.
>
> [snip]
>
> This was the reaction I had as well when trying to write some Zopetop
> documentation.  I verified that other Rotterdam people had the same
> experience, as everyone relied on grep to resolve all questions.

We've been discussing 'through the web' views in this context just now.

We're considering a special package where you can add page templates
and page templates only (uploading them using FTP or WebDAV or filesystem
sync). The package is configured to work with an interface and may be
associated with a view class/factory. There can then be a browse user
interface where you can get information from the interface and also
all methods defined on the view.

This is again with an eye on the view developer who isn't writing python,
though.

While it won't give all the information needed, it should likely help.
More suggestions in this department are welcome. It's a (view) developer
user interface issue. :)

Regards,

Martijn