[Zope3-dev] directory hierarchy proposal

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 07:33:29 -0500

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> R. David Murray wrote:

>>>No, its intent is to contain stuff that is going to be in the services,
>>>but is software, not the service itself. Things like TTW page templates,
>>>TTW modules, etc.
>>>
>>I think perhaps a better name is needed.  'software' doesn't signify anything
>>to me.  But worse, even after your explanation I still have no clue what
>>would go in that directory.  Unless you mean TTW stuff is going to be
>>file-synchronized into that directory?
>>
>>Maybe I just don't understand services well enough yet.
>>

> Jim knows better what he wants there than I do, perhaps he can chip
> in and answer. :)
>
> The idea as far as I understand it is that it will contain the implementation
> of various 'software like' components, like TTW Page Templates, TTW modules.
> These objects can then be used in various services to configure them/
> program them. You could for instance use a TTW Page Template in a TTW
> View Service.

Right. The things in this package would be or be used to create TTW (database-based)
software, as opposed to content. As Martijn noted, this would include ZPT templates
(as opposed to ZPT pages, which are content) and Python modules, as well as, perhaps,
sql *methods* (as opposed to sql scripts, which are content), Python methods (as opposed
to Python scripts), and so on.

The name "software" is the best name I've been able to think of, but I'm open to other
suggestions.