[Zope3-dev] Separate package trees for presentation and interfaces

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 02:47:36 -0500

On Saturday 14 December 2002 09:29, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn has proposed giving views their own hierarchy within the Zope
> software packages:
>

>  http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ViewDirec
>toryHierarchyReorganization
>
> See also:
>

>  http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ProposedD
>irectoryHierarchy
>
> The reason for this is to provide a focussed place for web developers where
> they will not be `distracted or confused by non-presentation code.
>
> I endorse this idea.

As stated before, I like the idea now too; however, I think it has another
negative site affect. 3rd party products will look very different, since
their presentation, interface and implementation code **must** be in the same
directory; at least initially.

We could solve this problem similar to unix using a package manager, which
moves a product's code into the right directories upon installation. When a
product is deleted it knows where to do this. This way we could also
introduce product dependencies. But then maybe the current RPM approach is
already sufficient and developers will not care about having two schemes.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter