[Zope3-dev] Separate package trees for presentation and interfaces

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:26:14 -0500

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Saturday 14 December 2002 09:29, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Martijn has proposed giving views their own hierarchy within the Zope
>>software packages:
>>

>> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ViewDirec
>>toryHierarchyReorganization
>>
>>See also:
>>

>> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ProposedD
>>irectoryHierarchy
>>
>>The reason for this is to provide a focussed place for web developers where
>>they will not be `distracted or confused by non-presentation code.
>>
>>I endorse this idea.
>>

> As stated before, I like the idea now too; however, I think it has another
> negative site affect. 3rd party products will look very different, since
> their presentation, interface and implementation code **must** be in the same
> directory; at least initially.

No, 3rd-party packages will look just like zope.app. they will include package-top-level
submodules for each presentation type they provide components for and a
package-top-level interfaces submodule containing their interfaces. The only
difference is that they will typically be shallower, and the package-top-level
submodules will usually be ordinary modules rather than packages.