[Zope3-dev] Thoughts on Zope CVS vs distributions

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:54:56 -0500

    JF> In the long run, I want to be able to run Zope directly from
    JF> CVS checkouts as we do now. This makes development a lot
    JF> easier than having to run a build/install after every change.

    JF> OTOH, Zope distributions (source or binary) should be
    JF> installed using distutils.

There are two patterns that seem to be emerging, one that builds
in-place and one that doesn't.  Probably most people will be happy
with the former, but the latter is useful for testing the s/w with
different versions of Python without having to do a stupid_clean in
between.

I think our build and test process needs to support both ways.

-Barry