[Zope3-dev] Thoughts on Zope CVS vs distributions

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 09:54:44 -0500

In the long run, I want to be able to run Zope directly from
CVS checkouts as we do now. This makes development a lot easier
than having to run a build/install after every change.

OTOH, Zope distributions (source or binary) should be installed
using distutils.

We probably want to define multiple kinds of distributions for
different audiences. For example, perhaps there are evaluator
distributions that require a mimimum of installation work (like
maybe none, as in the case of running from a CD). And maybe there
are "enterprise" and "isp" distributions that separate installation
of the software from the installation of zope instances.