[Zope3-dev] Lets replace lib/python with python in CVS

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:14:26 -0500

    GvR> But isn't it just as easy to create a symlink to (or a
    GvR> separate checkout of) ZODB in your Zope2 development tree,
    GvR> rather than doing an install?  (In either case, there are
    GvR> some conflicts because Zope2's lib/python contains some
    GvR> directories with the same name as those that ZODB would
    GvR> install; I think the CVS route make this slightly less
    GvR> confusing than the install.)

Symlinks don't work well because of all the .so's that get built and
dropped in Zope2's lib/python during a normal Zope2 build.  Also
because there's more than one directory there, you'd have to symlink
them all if you wanted to test Zope2 with a snapshot of a ZODB3
development tree.  The latter is also a problem for cvs (you'd have to
do a tagged checkout in more than one directory), and the other
problem with going cvs is that you have to commit your changes in
order to test them out (leading to more proliferation of branches).

-Barry