[Zope3-dev] From zLOG to logging

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:29:08 -0500

Tim & I have just completed ripping out all references to zLOG from
Zope3.  (We're still waiting for the repolink updates so that the zLOG
package itself disappears.)  All logging is now done through the new
'logging' package, which is a copy of the official logging package
from Python 2.3 (see PEP 282).

z3 starts, and all the tests succeed, although there's sometimes a
spurious asyncore error being logged to stderr while the tests are
run.  I think I know why this is, but I have no time to nail it today.

The logging package is fairly easy to use and configure.  I will
update the doc/LOGGING.txt file tomorrow with info.  If you're in a
hurry configuring it, look in the log.ini file; it's referenced in
z3.py and test.py.

We deleted one or two "decoy" modules that appeared to be unused,
e.g. Zope/Events/Logger.py.  Hopefully this was okay.

If you exerience any problems that seem due to this, please respond to
this email and we'll attempt fix them tomorrow.