[Zope3-dev] RFC: move 'App' out of 'Zope'

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:54:26 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     hk> If the reusable packages are reusable they should be able
>     hk> to stand on their own.
>
> +1, with some judicious choice of which packages are reusable enough
> and generic enough to be moved out into their own top-level package.
>
> OTOH, I've lost this argument too many times to push hard for it. ;)

Historically, Zope has many packages that might be reusable, but their
actual use is limited almost entirely to Zope.  DocumentTemplate, for
example, has no dependencies on the rest of Zope, but it's hardly useful
unless you've committed to the full Zope framework.  So making
DocumentTemplate a top-level package is premature generalization.

I guess in my mind the choice to make a top-level package corresponds
directly with the maturity of the package.  Zope 3's security framework,
for example, is not well enough understood to make it a t.l.p., and if it
ever becomes one, its interface is likely to change to meet the needs of
applications other than Zope.

So I would envision zodb, interface, and page templates as top-level
packages.  Most of the other packages aren't mature enough.

Shane