[Zope3-dev] RFC: move 'App' out of 'Zope'

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 12:57:08 -0500

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>

>>    hk> If the reusable packages are reusable they should be able
>>    hk> to stand on their own.
>>
>>+1, with some judicious choice of which packages are reusable enough
>>and generic enough to be moved out into their own top-level package.
>>
>>OTOH, I've lost this argument too many times to push hard for it. ;)
>>

> Historically, Zope has many packages that might be reusable, but their
> actual use is limited almost entirely to Zope.  DocumentTemplate, for
> example, has no dependencies on the rest of Zope, but it's hardly useful
> unless you've committed to the full Zope framework.  So making
> DocumentTemplate a top-level package is premature generalization.

This is an interesting example. DocumentTemplate *has* been widely used
outside of Zope. When I was maintaining it, I was very careful to make this
fairly straightforward. Later, when others took it over, they were not aware of
this constraint and DocumentTemplate became highly dependent on other
parts of Zope 2. I didn't realize that this had happened until we tried
to port it to Zope 3.

Certainly, this will be clarified in Zope 3 by putting everything (well, all
core things) that depends on the zope application framework in a special package
(currently zope.app). This means that anything outside this special package must
be usable outside of the framework.