[Zope3-dev] RFC: move 'App' out of 'Zope'

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:37:12 -0500

At 12:57 PM 12/22/02 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>Certainly, this will be clarified in Zope 3 by putting everything (well, all
>core things) that depends on the zope application framework in a special
>package
>(currently zope.app). This means that anything outside this special
>package must
>be usable outside of the framework.

Per my other post on this subject, may I suggest that even if we stay with
a nested package for what is now Zope.App, can we choose a different name
for it, and stop talking about it as the "application framework"?

As an app developer who works mainly with those pesky "reusable packages",
I think of *them* as the "application framework".  Zope.App, IMO, is a
content management application *built on* the "application framework"
that's outside of Zope.App.  "zope.cm" or "zope.content" or "zope.cmf"
would make a *lot* more sense to me.

In talking with people about Zope 3 currently, this *is* a stumbling block,
because if I say we're going to be using the Zope app server, people think
that that must be in Zope.App, when in fact Zope.App is the thing I don't
currently want them to import under any circumstances.  ;)